[fpc-pascal] Access to RS232 ports with fpc

Holger Bruns holger.bruns at gmx.net
Sun Nov 1 15:44:17 CET 2009

Hello,

I am new to this list. For programming the serial ports on a linux
system, I tried to use the "serial" unit. i don't understand the
declaration for "buffer" in the function below, because no type is
declared for "buffer". How can I read a character from the selected
serial port? This is the part of the serial unit I am talking about:

  function SerRead(Handle: TSerialHandle; var Buffer; Count: LongInt):
LongInt;
    begin
    Result := fpRead(Handle, Buffer, Count);
  end;

I hope so far, you can help me out with an advice.

Best regards, Holger