[fpc-pascal] re: thanks for major signal handling fix

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed May 20 22:24:50 CEST 2009

On 20 May 2009, at 22:13, Micha Nelissen wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> On 20 May 2009, at 22:01, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>> The problem you have right now is that the program and each of
>>> your libraries each contain their own copy of the exception class,
>>> and therefore do not recognise (Pascal) exceptions raised by any
>>> of the others.
>> Well, that and the fact that moreover each library/program contains
>> its own exception stack rather than a single shared one (although
>> that could
>
> Aren't both problems solved by using the same RTL binary code (in
> library form)?

Yes, that's exactly what those packages are, afaik: http://wiki.freepascal.org/packages

I also think that ELF-style dynamic libraries are "natively" quite
close already to the packages concept (unlike Windows dll's or Mac OS
X shared libraries), but I don't know whether it's enough. And at
least compiling the (linux) rtl into a shared library currently does
not work: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=12492 (and I think if
you'd solve those problems, there would be others).

Jonas