[fpc-pascal] A question or two regarding the FPC

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sat May 9 19:12:47 CEST 2009

El Sat, 9 May 2009 10:08:50 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> escribió:
> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM, "Vinzent Höfler"
> <JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, you should answer one simple question for yourself: If
> > your life really depended on the system, would you still trust it?
>
> In that case we should all be very worried. Many critical systems out
> there run on Windows - we as technical people know that Windows is not
> the most stable platform out there.  :-)

And many of those are written in visual basic: many years ago I saw a
job ad on a newspaper requesting visual basic programmers for
electromedical machines. I *am* worried.
Not too long ago I saw on digg a photo of a scada controlling a nuclear
plant. The scada was siemens' wincc[*]. Regardless of the fact that the
error message was just complaining about the license, and a scada isn't
actually controlling the plant, I am *very* worried.

[*]a gigantic mess with a bazillon programs and dlls that nobody on
earth could possibly know how they fit together, and with the final
program badly scattered among so many different pieces you can't
never be sure of what is doing.

--
Luca