[fpc-pascal] A question or two regarding the FPC

fpclist at silvermono.co.za fpclist at silvermono.co.za
Sat May 9 12:27:30 CEST 2009

Hi Graeme

You have a point.

About two months ago, I had to visit the dentist because one of my filings was
playing up. The diagnosis was that an old silver filing was leaking and
needed to be replaced. Becase of all the hype about mercury poisoning caused
by silver filings (which from my knowledge silver filings contains basically
silver nitrate), the dentist suggested using an inlay which is made of some
composite plastic etc.

I agreed and a mobile PC on wheels was rolled in by his nurse. I noticed the
familiar green start button on the bottom left corner of the screen and asked
what version of Windows XP this box was running. The dentist's reply was that
this was a special version of windows specifically designed to run medical
related critical software. Not being an offensive character, I gave him the
benefit of the doubt. While he was attempting to start the 'tooth profiling'
program, he clicked on a tab on the taskbar and up popped MS Solitare!
Obviously this medical box was trying to pay for itself in more ways than its
intended use.

To cut a long story short, during the three dimensional scan of my tooth, the
Windows box blue screened. After a reboot, it worked fine until the tooth
inlay cutting process, where the program controls a milling machine. The
milling process takes close to half an hour to complete, and half way through
the milling process, yes you guessed it, the controlling program crashed in
Windows. I remarked that the inlay would now be useless, but the dentist's
reply was "no, it's okay, it happens quite often. Just can't restart the
program or the milling will stop".

When I peeked at the back of the Windows box, I was quite surprised to find a
Siemens logo!

Also, a few weeks later, my inlayed tooth required a root treatment.

IMO, A good programmer using FPC and Linux will produce a more stable product
than the same programmer using anything (MSVS, Delphi, DotNet, whatever) and
running in Windows. By the way, I have nothing against MS or Windows. I think
that MS has done a pretty good job since NT4, mostly thanks to Dave Cutler
and his team (ex Digital VMS OS architect - is that why NT was more stable
than 95, cause it's based on Unix?). Apart from poorly written software,
poorly written device driver are the major cause of Windows OS crashes. Of
course viruses and trojans etc don't help either.

Anyway, In my opinion and experience, I think that Free Pascal is suitable for
mission critical work and yes the system as a whole must comply. The OS, the
hardware the software. Redundancy must also be factured in. Most embedded
device have a hardware watchdog that will reset the device when required.

Signing off,
Nino