[fpc-pascal] A question or two regarding the FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 9 10:38:28 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<sanliturk at ttmail.com> wrote:
> For example , in an airplane  fall-down  many years before ( approximately
> 110 deaths ) it has
> been found that in the automatic pilot software an error situation used a
> STOP statement . During landing it caused release of control of the airplane

This happens more often than you think.  I watched a few days ago a
program about a SAAB military aircraft test pilot that survived 3
airplane crashes. Each crash destroying a $24mil plane. The first two
crashes where caused by the on-board software failing - software
crashed. They then did some serious software bug fixing and were
confident that the software defects are solved. The 3rd crash was
caused by the now nervous pilot, over compensating for what the
software wanted to do. This overloaded the software with inputs it
simply couldn't handle fast enough and the software simply started
dropping instructions to try and keep up. Needless to say, that plane
crashed as well.

After that the pilot stopped being a test pilot for that specific
model aircraft, but SAAB did eventually manage to fix all the software
bugs. Quite an expensive debugging session.

Moral of the story?  Test, test and TEST! And when in doubt, test some more!

Regards,
  - Graeme -