[fpc-pascal] A question or two regarding the FPC

Hans Mårtensson cirkulation at maartensson.net
Fri May 8 23:02:02 CEST 2009

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

>On Fri, 8 May 2009 14:35:52 -0300
>Gustavo Enrique Jimenez <gejimenez at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Nino:
>>
>> I am using FPC since 2000-2001. I use it for data aquisition and
>>temperature control. Console programs compiled with FPC 1.x work for
>>days, even weeks. In the "Laboratorio de Física del Sólido, Tucumán -
>>Argentina" (Solid state physics laboratory) we have used programs
>>compiled with FPC to grow YBACuO superconductor crystals. This process
>>take weeks.
>> This heat treatment is the only "mission critical application" that I
>>know well, and FPC works reliably, even for weeks, on linux machines.
>>

>Some of my fpc programs run for months on linux clusters and some multi threaded daemons on OS X til reboot.
>So far: No long time crashes or mem leaks.
>
>But I second Jonas mail: Before you run an fpc program in a
>zero-tolerance environment, you have to test a lot of things, because a
>lot of code was not written with zero-tolerance in mind.
>
>Mattias

I could add my experience:
I have made a system for controling the internet connection for a
network of nearly 100 computers.The system checks passwords, set up
permissions, takes care of the full log of internet traffic, regularly
extracting informations from the log files (which is a huge amount of
data). The system is a daimon program, compiled with FreePascal, running
on an Ubuntu Linux OS. The computer with this system has now been
running for more that a year without interruption, without reboot, and
without any sign of any problem.

But then, in case of zero-tolerance, if you trust the compiler, what
about the OS? and, worst, what about your program?
I wouldn't trust the reliability of anything before the full system has
been tested under working conditions.

Hans Mårtensson