[fpc-pascal] 'compiler host' vs 'compiler target'

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon May 4 15:31:17 CEST 2009

On 04 May 2009, at 15:18, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> What's the difference between these two sets of parameters. Under two
> linux systems (32bit and 64bit) both sets of parameters give the same
> output. So what's the difference between them?

The host is the architecture/OS for which the compiler binary itself
has been compiled. The target is architecture/OS for which the
compiler generates code (the target OS can be influenced using the -T
parameter). By default, a non-cross-compiler indeed generates code for
the same architecure/OS combination as it was compiled for itself.

>      -iSO       Return compiler OS
>      -iSP       Return compiler host processor
>
>      -iTO       Return target OS
>      -iTP       Return target processor
>

> What I am looking for is the version (-iV) and if the compiler is
> 32bit or 64bit. So which parameter do I use for the latter?

Do you mean whether the compiler binary itself is 32 or 64 bit? There
is no specific parameter for that. You can use -iSP and perform some
sort of pattern matching for 64 bit CPUs. Or you can run the "file"
command against the compiler. I'm not sure what the use for this
information could be though.

Jonas