[fpc-pascal] Servlet server for Fpc apps

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 30 17:49:46 CEST 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Doug Chamberlin wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > What I want doesn't matter. Our clients want rich web 2.0 webapps.
> > I just want to make them in pascal and keep the codebase and know-how I have
> > in my team.
> >
> > If it was up to me, client/server would do the job just fine. But I cannot
> > ask all parents of all pupils of all our schools to install a client
> > application:
> > a) They don't want it. They are mostly computer agnostic, but they can surf
> > the internet.
> > b) Our helpdesk would find and emigrate to an unknown island somewhere in
> > the
> >    south pacific because of the installation and upgrade problems :-)
>
> This is a position that I have not been able to understand for several years
> now.
>
> (Since Delphi can easily create self-contained, install-less applications, I'm
> assuming FPC can as well.)

I've still got to see the first install-less application. We have on average
1500 reports deployed with the application, several support DLLs of third-party
tools and code, plus 6Mb. help files.

> So why not create a link on the web site, where the
> users start, that downloads the program and runs it.

This is where the ship already sinks. I'll give you the 2 most common
reasons:
- Many clients have PC-classrooms, where such things are simply forbidden.

- Windows Vista and security issues make installation and automated updates
  a pain. Not everybody is allowed to do installs, they don't have admin
  rights and whatnot.

> I believe the only reason customers ask for browser-based RIA is that is the
> only choice they are familiar with because the media are all abuzz about it.

Nono. The IT people ask for it, because they want to be freed of the local
installations. Worse: once parents of school pupils are involved, the
problems increase thousandfold...

> Other, better choices have been around for a long time that solve the same
> problem.

If you come and say this in front of my clients, I guarantee you that they
will carry you out, covered in tar and feathers, and drop you in the nearest
river :-)

I understand all your arguments, I have used them myself, but it is simply not
my decision. So I try to save whatever is possible...

Michael.