[fpc-pascal] Boehm GC

Krishna v.krishnakumar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 18:20:41 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> In our previous episode, Krishna said:
>> >
>> > I'm new to fpc and pascal, i.e. I've never done a project in it, but
>> > i've been following the lists for a while and dabbling.
>> >
>> > I like using a garbage collector and I know you can replace the memory
>> > manager in fpc so i guess it's probably trivial to replace the standard
>> > with boehm. Wondered if anyone's done it and how they got on, and if
>> > there are issues with the idea.
>> >

>> Very many years ago I asked the same question on this mailing list :)
>>
>> Check it out here:
>> http://www.hu.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-pascal/2002-November/004229.html
>>
>> IIRC, it worked on Win32 with boehmgc linked in as a DLL. Don't
>> remember if it was faster than the default memory manager though.
>
> I found this:
> - http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/21646

not able to download. getting timed out.

anyway, I tried compiling the old code and it failed. TMemoryManager
seems to have changed a bit. Adjusted the code to match the cmem
example given in the manual and I got errors saying that InitThread ,
DoneThread and RelocateHeap are undefined fields in TMemoryManager.
Compiled fine when those three lines were commented out.

It did not crash on Linux! and it seems to collect as well!! (using
libgc 6.6 that comes with opensuse 11.1)

Cheers,
  --Krishna

--
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound
they make as they fly by.