[fpc-pascal] Mac OS X SDL without gcc or XCode

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Mar 17 19:27:06 CET 2009

On 17 Mar 2009, at 19:13, dmitry boyarintsev wrote:

>> In this case, libSDLmain.a is always available in pre-compiled form
>> (it's
>> automatically compiled along with the rest of the sources). That's
>> also why
>> the FPC SDL unit always links against against that library (so that
>> it works
>> without having to add anything extra in the main program.).
>
> Thanks for the info. Never tried to compile SDL sources or get it via
> Fink or MacPort.
> the only purpose, that passdlmain can be usefull, is extending
> (customizing) application menu, using pascal, rather than obj-c.

I think it would also be useful to make the default FPC SDL unit work
with both the framework and unix library version: if your unit is be
added to the uses clause of the sdl unit and the {$linklib SDLmain} is
removed, then the unit should always work (since, as far as I know,
the SDLmain.m file in the framework is simply the source file of
libSDLmain.a).

> Also, speaking about sdl header. Correct if i'm wrong, but SDL tries
> to link XLib and/or X11 library under Darwin, even if these libs are
> not to be used?

Yes, that can still be removed.

> P.S. I'm going to copy-paste your email to the wiki (about details on
> how-to get SDL lib, instead of framework), if you don't mind.

No problem.

Jonas