[fpc-pascal] Access violation during compilation and linking

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Thu Mar 12 13:01:14 CET 2009

On Thu, March 12, 2009 12:17, Roland Turcan wrote:
> <<< 12.3.2009 10:09 - Jonas Maebe "jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be" >>>
> JM> Roland Turcan wrote on do, 12 mrt 2009:
>
>>> It often happens to me, that during compilation FPC raises an
>>> exception and often is enough just to clean up directories where are
>>> *.o and *.ppu located. Sometimes it depends also on a problem in my
>>> code, but it is very difficult to distinguish where the problem is.
 .
 .
>>> Can I build FPC with debug information to get more details where the
>>> exception occured and not to get only addresses from stack, but
>>> nothing more.
>
> JM> You can build it with
> JM>    make OPT='-O- -gl"
>
> JM> to include debug information and the lineinfo. This will symbolise the
> JM> stack trace when it crashes (or if that does not work, you can then
> JM> run it in gdb and use the "bt" command to show a stack trace when it
> JM> crashes).
>
> I have longer time a difficulty to solve this message when I try to
> build fpc with "sudo make clean all":
>
> Makefile:2279: *** No libgdb.a found, supply NOGDB=1 to disable
> debugger support.
>
> of course, then I use "sudo make clean all NOGDB=1" and it builds
> fine, but without debugger support I need.

First, NOGDB=1 is related to compilation of the IDE. You do not need to
care about that because you primarily need to compile the compiler with
support for debugging (you can still use the previously available IDE or
GDB as before, no need to use your new build for that). Second, you
apparently didn't add the options suggested by Jonas to your command line:

sudo make clean all "OPT=-O- -gl" NOGDB=1

(and possibly even extending it to "OPT=-O- -gl -Xs-")

> I am a newbie to MacOSX 10.5 and therefore I would like to ask how to
> install libgdb.a library which is requested.

I cannot answer this one for Mac OS X.

Tomas