[fpc-pascal] XML files and the ext4 bug

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Mar 12 11:05:26 CET 2009

Michael Van Canneyt wrote on do, 12 mrt 2009:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>
>> Journaling means only: the file system is always in an internally
>> consistent state It does not mean that it doesn't lose data!
>
> In this definition, yes.

Well, that is the only definition of file system journaling I know of.

> But I find that rather limited :-)

It is much better than the previous situation where losing power could
mean that your entire partition would become unreadable (due to a
corruption of the inode indexes/file allocation tables/b-trees/...).

It's of course not a substitute for backups or versioned file systems.

Jonas