[fpc-pascal] XML files and the ext4 bug

David Emerson dle3ab at angelbase.com
Thu Mar 12 08:31:56 CET 2009

I can't comment on pascal's XML handling, but perhaps I can shed some
light on the situation. I belive this new filesystem thing will bite
you if you do something like this:

assign (my_file, '/some/file');

rewrite (my_file);
// ... write out the contents of the file ...
close (my_file);

reset (my_file); <-- right here is where you get screwed.

ext4 and other modern filesystems have not committed your previous
rewrite to disk yet! So when you try to reset and read the file, you
get an EMPTY file from the OS. If you then read in the (empty) data,
make a few changes and write it out again, you're going to end up with
a patchy file.

Also, if some kind of crash occurs before the file has been sync'd then
the file would be completely gone.

When I write a config file out, I usually do so by writing out program
variables by name, hardcoded in my program -- rather than by retrieving
data from a config file and then writing out the same data that I just
read.

If you must do it by reading and then writing, then call (the pascal
equivalent of) fsync after close, keeping in mind that you will have to
wait for the (very slow) disk whenever that sync gets called.

Disclaimer: I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about: I am really
going out on a limb with some guesswork here. But I think I understood
Ts'o's message, and I doubt fpc calls sync on close ;)

Thanks, by the way, for including that message from Theodore Ts'o, which
I found to be quite enlightening!

~David.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781/comments/54