[fpc-pascal] Creating FPC enabled websites

Bee bee.ography at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 06:29:18 CET 2009

> Again, not a major issue, since testing needs done on all the given
> platforms anyhow, but I just liked the write once, run anywhere approach.

If you really need that, despite you said it's not a major issue, then
you should consider other solutions. FPC is simply not for the
purpose. FPC is about "write once compile anywhere" since FPC
generates native code for each platform. Actually, with a bit of
effort, you could make a build machine that would (cross)-compile your
source code to any platforms by a single command.

> Not that there's anything wrong with java, I've used it too, but pascal just
> happens to be my favorite language, and anything that makes it possible to
> have portable code w/o my having to put in extra work is a big plus.

So far, FPC is quite portable to me. When you write your code right,
targeting another platform is simply recompile the code. Since FPC is
fast, doing that requires just a few seconds, or minutes is the
application is ultra huge. To me, it's not an "extra" work. Besides,
when you're working on server side, it should be less platform you
need to support compare to if you're working on client side.

> (fpc virtual machine project anyone?) :-).

Consider Delphi Prism if you do like pascal language. ;)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com