[fpc-pascal] Creating FPC enabled websites

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Wed Mar 4 03:45:27 CET 2009

But what irie pascal offers is the ability to compile my code once,
then execute it on any of the supported platforms.
Fpc can't do that.
It's really a matter of preference, I know, but it's kind of a moot
point, since Stewart King has clearly stated there is no intent to
support osx, and since that's my main  platform these days, it just
means I have to maintain separate systems to compile fpc executables
for all os types I want to support.
Again, not a major issue, since testing needs done on all the given
platforms anyhow, but I just liked the write once, run anywhere
approach.
And the fact that it's not java (for me at least) was another plus.
Not that there's anything wrong with java, I've used it too, but
pascal just happens to be my favorite language, and anything that
makes it possible to have portable code w/o my having to put in extra
work is a big plus.
However, I'm really not doing as much cross-platform development as I
used to anyhow, so there again is another point, I'm just saying that
for me at least, (for a time) irie pascal filled a very real need, and
if fpc could be built like that, I'm sure I'm not the only one who
could benefit from it.
(fpc virtual machine project anyone?) :-).