[fpc-pascal] Lazarus settings and roaming profiles in Windows

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 16 18:10:43 CEST 2009

Mattias Gärtner schrieb:
> Zitat von Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:
>
>> Mattias Gärtner schrieb:

>> A network file system is too slow for developing. Compiling anything
>> via nfs or smb is a nightmare speedwise.
>
> NFS over gigabit is not that bad.

For how much people working simultanously? And don't forget, it's about
windows so probably smb is used.

> For example compiling 94k lines of codetools on a network share and on
> local disc makes no difference.

Compiling itself is not a big problem but e.g. for fpc the file handling
stuff in the makefiles causes a lot of delay.

> My conclusion:
> I agree with Jonas, you can use network shares for development machines.

Consider 10-50 people working and accessing a server this way :) Using
roaming profiles and local source checkouts, this can be handled easily
by a 1k Eur server which even doesn't requires high
availability/reliability because with a roaming profile you can continue
to work even if the server crashes/must rebooted whatever.

> Roaming profiles using auto copy/delete are not the best choice for that.

For me it works fine for years ;)