[fpc-pascal] for .. in loop implementationt

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jan 8 17:15:16 CET 2009

In our previous episode, Jeremy Cowgar said:
> > Clutter, maintenance, and somebody has to do both implementation and
> > maintenance, addition to documentation tool, pretty printer etc.
> >

> I wonder how much maintenance would actually have to be done? Once a
> language construct is present, does it really take that much to keep it
> up?

Well, I only see the practice from years of reading bugreports, but :

often bugreports pertaining to language features are about special cases and
interactions between features. Like automated types, properties etc. What if
the right side is an expression instead of a value or a constant? What if it
involves ref counted types, what if it involves a temp location ? Etc.

> The same for the additions to documentation, pretty printer, etc... It's
> all done once and should be fine after that.

After a few additions, patches and tweaks, usually yes. And then it turns up
that Delphi also accepts  <xxxx> after "in" etc.

> However, I am speaking out of a not ever looking at the compiler source,
> so I may be pretty far off base. Just thinking aloud.

People typically only think of a few standard cases like there are in the
manual. It is a totally different magnitude to fix any constuction the users
find in their existing Delphi code.

If you think it is worth it, by all means go ahead.