[fpc-pascal] PasCocoa design

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Thu Feb 12 15:00:18 CET 2009

Actually, it's not just the file system that eats space that leads to
a 500GB disk being shown at just over 400GB.
It's also determined by how the manufacturer measures 1K of data.
Some manufacturers in order to inflate their drive values, treat a K
as 1,000 bytes.  This is not accurate.  1K is actually 1024 bytes.
When you're talking about GB size ranges, this leads to huge
descrepincies in rated vs actual sizes.  Thats why I like the Lasie
drives, they rate according to a 1024 byte K, and so their drives are
always very close to the rated size, whereas 1 500GB drive I bought
(manufacturer will remain nameless) was actually a 435GB drive, which
made me *very* angry.
If they want to claim 1000 bytes is 1K, then they should be required
to say so somewhere on their packaging. I happily would have paid the
extra 20 bucks, and got something that was closer to the actual 500GB
mark if I had known.