[fpc-pascal] Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Feb 3 21:49:02 CET 2009

On 20 Jan 2009, at 10:18, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2009, at 18:05, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:
>
>> One of the users reporting problems did search for as, and found it
>> in /developer/usr/bin/as! So Xcode
>> was installed, and "as" was installed, but not in /usr/bin/as!
>>
>> Maybe Apple has changed the paths in some Xcode version? I have no
>> problems on my MBP/10.5 though.
>>
>> Perhaps an alias from /usr/bin/as would help? Or is there anything
>> else that FPC needs?
>
> As of Xcode 3.x, you can install multiple versions of Xcode at the
> same time on a system. To allow for this, Xcode can install
> everything it needs into a a subdirectory, without installing
> anything globally on the system (i.e., nothing under /usr, /
> var, ..., only things under whatever directory you decide to install
> Xcode in).
>
> However, for compatibility with standard unix development
> environments and configure/makefile-based source distributions, you
> still have the option to also install the command line utilities
> (such as automake, autoconf, as, ld, gcc, cpp, ...) globally under /
> usr.
>
> Now, I am pretty certain that this is done by default and that this
> is only not done if you choose a custom install and deselect that
> option. I don't have an Xcode installer lying around to verify that
> though.

I've now verified it, and the installer option is called "UNIX
Development Support" and is selected by default. So if anyone reports
this error, tell them to relaunch the Xcode installer and to install
that option (although it's strange that FPC can be installed if Xcode
was installed without that option, because the FPC installer checks
for the existence of /usr/bin/gcc, and that one is not installed
either if you deselect that option).

Jonas