[fpc-pascal] TFileStream.SetSize sometimes fails

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 14 16:33:21 CEST 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:19:40 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt wrote
about Re: [fpc-pascal] TFileStream.SetSize sometimes fails:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
[snip]
> > This will loose the access rights and type of the file.
>
> Why does that matter ? I don't think the IDE needs to preserve these.

Any program that updates a file and in so doing alters the
security mask or deletes any ACL's or extended attributes of that file
is intrinsically broken.

If I have a source file to which I have assigned an ACL permitting
another specific user to access the file, that ACL *must* stay in
place. Likewise, if I have set a security mask to keep other users in
my group out of a file, i.e. 0600, that security mask must be
preserved.

Dave  [RLU #314465]