[fpc-pascal] Opinion about new target: Windows Native NT

Sven Barth svenmauren at vr-web.de
Sun Apr 26 00:40:18 CEST 2009

Ok... I'm definitly impressed by your answering speed ^^

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>> Now I ask you (especially the main developers of FPC): Is there any
>> chance that this target might be added officially to FreePascal
>>

> Of course, just send patches.

Wonderful! Now I know what I can do on my way to university: cleaning up
my changes so I can submit them ^^ (such patches are submitted to the
bugtracker, aren't they?)

>> PS: I might also help to update/complete the "porting FPC"
>> documentation, as some parts are missing. For example: I needed to add
>> my target to the coff code-generator and I had to search with grep to
>> find the right place...
>>

> Feel free to add it. The problem with such docs is that they never can
> cover all cases.

Ok. I will try to come up with a good description of the process.

Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
>
>> - I successfully compiled a program with a stub RTL and executed it
>> during ReactOS' boot process ("hello world" ;) )
>> - currently I'm implementing the RTL features step by step (thanks to
>> HAS_FEATURE_XYZ this is easier then checking which methods of ntdll I
>> need ^^)
>>

> You know there is a native header in packages/winunits-jedi (jwanative or
> so)
I know there are many jewels in the packages directory, but I didn't
know this one :D

Three questions though:

1. What shall I name the target? Currently it's named "winnt" but I
think that name is a bit confusing (think about Windows NT 3 or 4), so I
thought about "ntumode" (for NT user mode).

2. Now that I know the jwanative unit: Is it ok if I copy the needed
methods/types (jwanative covers also many kernel mode structures and
methods) into a file of my RTL (like the os dependant units of the other
targets, e. g. windows, unixbase...)?

3. I'm using an sysinit unit that only does a passthrough to my entry
procedure in system.pp. Do I even need sysinit in this case or can I
drop it and only rely on system.pp?

Greetings,
Sven