[fpc-pascal] fpmake dependencies

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 14 16:52:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Mattias Gärtner wrote:

> Zitat von Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>:
>
> >[...]
> > unit/include

> > > Apparently for the 'clean' too.
> > >
> > > Why does it warn, when the files to be cleaned are already cleaned?
> > >
> > > Warning: File "units/i386-darwin/allcodetoolunits.o" does not exist
> > > Warning: File "units/i386-darwin/allcodetoolunits.ppu" does not exist
> >
> > Under normal operation, this should not happen ?
>
> IMO this is a normal operation:
> svn up && fppkg clean build
>
> Questions:
> Why a warning instead of a hint?
> Why not explain why it was searched?
>
> Newbies will get confused by such warnings.
>
> If you think that the message is needed, then maybe use this:
>
> Hint: File "units/i386-darwin/allcodetoolunits.o" was already deleted

It should maybe be reduced to a debug message, just to see what the
clean command is actually trying to do.

> > > Come on. You didn't add the 14 thousand filenames manually, did you?
> >
> > The unit source names were added from the Makefile.fpc (there is a conversion
> > mode) but the rest was added manually.
>
> You call yourself a programmer? Shame on you. ;)

Ah, but for the RTL, adding them manually was less job than
writing a tool. Basically, I'm lazy :)

> > I realize that for the LCL, this will be a rather largish job :-)
>
> I will rather write a tool than add them manually.

I was hoping someone would volunteer :-)

For the LCL, writing the tool is probably less work (given the codetools)
than adding them manually, so basically, you're just lazy too. This way
I don't need to feel too ashamed about myself :)

> > > I only found a mask for Sources. Somewhere else where I can look?
> >
> > packages/fpmkunit/src/fpmkunit.pp :-)
>
> That's where I looked. Should I copy the SearchFile procedure?

Can't you use it instead of copy it ?

Michael.