[fpc-pascal] TThread.WaitFor not returning?

papelhigienico at gmail.com papelhigienico at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 00:28:46 CEST 2008

Hi!

I have a similar problem when using threads with synchronize...  And I
understand that threads in FPC/Lazarus under Linux/BSD works like this:

When you call synchronize from inside of you thread, this sends a message to
application thread with the procedure that will be used to synchronize AND
WAIT FOR a response from application thread of the execution of sync
procedure. BUT when you call Thread.WaitFor in application thread, the
application don't process any messages because it is waiting the thread
finish, and thread don't finish because it is waiting a response of
application thread of the execution of sync procedure... and you have your
aplication freeze!

My solution in this case is override the WaitFor procedure...

procedure TMyThread.WaitFor;
begin
   while not ended do
      application.processmessages;
end;

...and var ended must be set to true in the last line of procedure
execute...

Fabio Luis Girardi