[fpc-pascal] cwstrings and uclibc

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:50:16 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Take a look at what a widestring manager must implement:
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/system/twidestringmanager.html
>
> The hardest parts to implement ourselves are ansi to widestring
> (because there are dozens of possible encodings for ansi) and
> uppercase/lowercase.

OK, but out of the list of encodings supported by iconv - how many are
actually used. So start with the most used encodings and implement as
required. Encoding conversions doesn't need to be perfect from the
start.

Also from the iconv help:
"The following list contain all the coded character sets known.  This does
not necessarily mean that all combinations of these names can be used for
the FROM and TO command line parameters.  One coded character set can be
listed with several different names (aliases)."

Which also means, iconv can't even use all FROM and TO combinations...
So even that tool/library isn't perfect.

Am I understanding this correctly. Widestring is more for MBCS that
Unicode. MBCS rely on encodings?  Unicode strings like UTF-8 and
UTF-16 do not have such encoding issues? (amount of possible
encodings)

Regards,
 - Graeme -