[fpc-pascal] FPC for FreeBSD AMD64?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 14 12:26:32 CEST 2008

In our previous episode, Francisco Reyes said:
> Are the steps documented somewhere?

Generally the procedure for crosscompiling is in the buildfaq. But that is
more the prepared case, when the port is ready.

> I downloaded fpc-2.2.2.i386-freebsd.tar
> How would I "build"
>
> Also, when one uses  instal.sh, how does one uninstall?

Not in theory. In practice it amounts to
- killing /usr/local/lib/fpc/ and /usr/local/share/fpc.
  (or only the relevant version you installed if you have multiples),
- weeding out binaries in /usr/local/bin.

> In a "regular" install I would just use the port system. I created a VM just
> to play around.. so I can rever the snapshot, but wonder what is the
> procedure to uninstall.

The problem is the port system often upgrades slowly. It still contains
2.0.4.

> Is this what I should be looking at?
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Release_engineering

No. That is more about packaging an existing ports, not making ports to
previously unsupported targets.

> Is the AMD64 version for FreeBSD planned to be worked on anytime in the near
> future?

Florian did a few bits last week, to help me over the point where I got
stuck. We are currently investigating what is the next step.

> I have to get a program done soon and looking at the
> wiki/Release_engineering it seems it would take me a good deal of time even
> trying to figure out how to begin to help to move the AMD64 port along.

The buildfaq comes closest I think. It describes crosscompiling basics. The
steps needed to fix a port are not documented (and not universal anyway)

Note that once a port is done, it usually needs a lot of testing and fixing
of all kinds of smaller libraries. It might not be directly up to the level
of other platforms.

(but of course the fact that both FreeBSD and x86_64 are already supported
individually will help)