[fpc-pascal] License question; unit to view floating-point details

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 7 12:44:13 CEST 2008

In our previous episode, Tom Verhoeff said:

> > Post the sources somewhere using the license header we use?
>
> I intend to do just that.  I was considering the use of plain GPL,
> rather than LGPL.  However, I wonder if that would interfere with the
> incorporation into FreePascal.

Neither are good. GPL is mostly definitely not allowed for library routines
(it is fine for the compiler, IDE or utils)

> Is it the case that all FPC libraries use (a variant of) LGPL?

LGPL-with-linking-exception to be precise. (see rtl/copying.fpc for the
differences with ordinary LGPL)

This is a bit more liberal than LGPL either, otherwise everybody would have
to linking dynamically to FPC libs, which is technically hard to impossible.
(and not desirable to make that mandatory anyway).

> I am willing to use that license, but if GPL is an option, I would
> prefer that.

Not for library routines. GPLed library routines are useless. Even GNU
doesn't do that.