[fpc-pascal] Installing on Mac OS X

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Sep 3 23:29:35 CEST 2008

On 03 Sep 2008, at 09:05, Paul wrote:

>  removed all files (that I could find) and reinstalled fpc-fpcsrc-
> lazarus.
> I downloaded the files from www.hu.freepascal.org/lazarus
> According to the docs in http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/OS_X_Programming_Tips
> , I should now be able to start lazarus by clicking on the lazarus
> icon in the application folder.

Where does it say that? I don't see it.

> I can't fond it though, also not with spotlight.
> Where can I find this ?

Please reread the three previous messages I wrote about using cmd-
shift-g, and/or the one where I gave the link to make Spotlight find
files in the Unix directories.

> OT: is it normal that new windows are hidden behind others?
> When downloading the packages from this site (very slow),

The ftp server is explicitly limited to 100kb per connection to avoid
overloading the connection.

> I was under the impression that nothing happened at all: the
> progress window is always hidden.

Safari's download window comes to the front if it wasn't already open.
If it was already open and you download another file, it doesn't come
to the front. The advantage is that your window doesn't lose focus all
the time when downloading multiple files. The disadvantage is that if
you don't know this, it can indeed be confusing.

> The same with starting a new instance of Finder: click and search to
> find the new instance under other windows.

There is only one instance of the Finder running at all time. If you
open a new Finder window (cmd-n or File->New Finder Window), it does
appear in front.

Jonas