[fpc-pascal] Best method to uninstall fpc and lazarus

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Sep 2 19:00:10 CEST 2008

On 02 Sep 2008, at 16:46, Paul wrote:

> I can't post them anymore, I closed all applications and switched
> of  the computer (incl power - had to move the pc)
> I didn't any errors though and needed to enter my password each time.

That is pretty strange, because "sudo" caches the password (or
credentials) for about 5 minutes.

> (luckely,  I left it empty for the moment)
> I also removed many of the files manually, but propably not all.
> I will search for other files also (config's ..)

You can also delete everything from the Finder instead:

cmd-shift-g
-> type in /usr/local/share (you can use tab completion)
-> in the opened window, drag the lazarus folder to the trash
-> type in your password
-> empty the trash

It's similar for the other files (cmd-shift-g -> type in the parent
directory of the files you want to delete -> select the to be deleted
file(s), drag them to the trash).

If in the cmd-shift-g directory you enter just "/usr", you can also
traverse the entire /usr hierarchy from the Finder if you want to.

Regarding earlier mentions of using Spotlight: Spotlight by default
does not search /usr etc if invoked from the gui (it does when you use
it, using mdfind, from the command line). You can however tell it to
also search such files from the GUI, as explained e.g. here: http://www.macworld.com/article/60711/2007/10/spotsyssearch.html

So I don't really understand this previous mail from you:

***
> Use spotlight (Cmd+Space) to find lazarus, tell us where you found it
> and delete it.
> Mattias

Seems nothing was deleted at all , including fpc ... :-(
***

since by default Spotlight wouldn't show your fpc or lazarus
installation in the first place.

> Anyways, I still don't know where it went wrong: all I did was
> install fpc2.2.2 with the dmg and the same with Lazarus (snapshot)
> I did not install the source files then, maybe that's a problem.

I doubt it.

> None of the fpc folders were listed in the Lazarus environment
> settings.

I also have no idea what went wrong, neither during the installation
nor during the removal.

Jonas

PS: just to make sure: make sure you also remove the .lazarus
directory (or its contents) in your home directory (using the
instructions posted earlier).