[fpc-pascal] helpsystem, some numbers

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Oct 28 14:27:51 CET 2008

> > help package    size on disk(k)  real size(k) chm(k)
> > rtl                38816          22096       1865
> > lcl                107404         72499       5227
> > fcl                8548            5148        445
>

> rtl with 7zip = 762KB
> fc with 7zip = 117KB

But that is not a help system. It is a solid archive. If I have to depack
first it lasts a minute and contains 150MB on disk (first column)

> I don't have the LCL help local.  Like I said, I have not seen
> anything beat 7-zip yet. ;-)

Great, I can't wait till you submit a patch that turns it into a helpsystem.

It is not a comparison of archivers, but what to do with the helpsystem. And
size is not the only parameter. (native compressor/decompressors are too, so
that it can be used in installers that don't need external dlls/.so's that
are potentially not installed or distro specific)