[fpc-pascal] Spreadsheet library/unit?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Oct 21 14:41:42 CEST 2008

In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
> > > That's an implementation detail, but doesn't make PDFs a priori unsuitable
> > > as help format.
> >
> > Well, let's keep this limited to FPC context, and the foreseeable future.
> > And include the textmode IDE.
>
> Your ship sinks on the last sentence. I never will do that :-)

Why not? We have done till now? Moreover, it only means that some format
must be generated that can be used by the IDE.

And since we will generate html for the website no matter what, chm is
generally an option (mostly because it roughly html in an archive, to avoid
8.3, lfn/sfn/case sensitivity and similar problems)

So if you have a chmlib as we have now, that reduces the textmode IDE support
to mere keeping the html format somewhat stable, and maybe wrapping
paragraphs longer than 255 lines in fpdoc to a new line.

> > > I use PDF as the help system for my daytime job apps. Works fine.
> >
> > How is the speed? Does it match say a D7 help ?
>
> I honestly don't know. Never tested.

> The primary reason for going to PDF was that we can create the docs
> in LaTeX, which is a text format where layout can be largely ignored.
>
> Having 6 people working together on a Word document is not doable, both
> from versioning and layouting point of view. In LaTeX it works.

Note that I'm talking about helpsystem now, not general documentation.

And straight LaTeX only seems to work fine when you do .ps and .pdf. Despite
some improvements the html generation remains a problem.