[fpc-pascal] Spreadsheet library/unit?

Ralf A. Quint FreeDOS at gmx.net
Mon Oct 6 22:03:36 CEST 2008

At 12:40 PM 10/6/2008, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> > > Because the comma is a bad separator for countries where the comma is the
> > > decimal separator, like most of mainland Europe.
> >
> > But CSV handles that fine!
>
>CSV is just that comma separated.
>
>Quoting is one common workaround. Another is to use a different separator.
>And iirc Excel does that sometimes too. Maybe it is version dependant.

Sorry, but that is rather application depended. And there are a lot
that handle, both for writing and reading, "quoted" fields not
properly, though there is a relevant RFC about this in RFC4180
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180)

>My favorite "csv" experience is to get csv's from the web opened in Excel,
>for both Dutch as English locales. Really a sport :-)

I do this a lot, in and out of Excel and other application and Excel
in fact handles this better than anything else. If the CSV file has
been written properly to begin with...

Ralf