[fpc-pascal] Spreadsheet library/unit?

Frank Peelo f26p at eircom.net
Mon Oct 6 19:00:14 CEST 2008

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Frank Peelo said:
>
>>>An additional issue with delimiters in this case is the fact, that "C" in
>>>"CSV" may not always be a comma (or that spreadsheet applications may
>>>expect different characters depending on locale - e.g. semicolons, etc.).
>>
>>CSV is occasionally referred to as something other than "Comma Separated
>>Values". I'm not sure why.
>

> Because the comma is a bad separator for countries where the comma is the
> decimal separator, like most of mainland Europe.

But CSV handles that fine! "12,345","67,890","I paid Ç12,34 for my lunch
and I didn't even get chips!"
(For some reason € comes out as Ç when saved by Excel.)
It's being read/written by a spreadsheet anyway, which doesn't mind
putting/reading extra quote chars.

(apropos spreadsheets, awkward delimiters and being off-topic: I notice
that using '-' as a delimiter *in* *the* *filename* can give the
spreadsheet indigestion. Specifically in a file with a name like
Data_2008-10-06.xls when specifying an output reference for the
Histogram tool in the Data Analysis Toolkit. Seems to want to evaluate
(Data_2008 - 10 - 06.xls) as an expression. I only mention it in the
hope that it gives someone a chuckle.)