[fpc-pascal] Help with understanding HeapTrc output

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Nov 3 19:17:57 CET 2008

On 03 Nov 2008, at 15:10, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> 1)  Every "Call trace for block" is a memory leak, correct?

Yes.

> 2)  Each "Call trace for block" is where the memory was allocated
> (start being used)?

Allocated.

> 3)  I should trace the information from the bottom line to the top
> line...

It's a backtrace, like when an exception or run time error occurs. The
top line is the actual place where the allocation happened, the next
is the caller of that place, etc.

> 4) Why does it quote more than one line?  If I allocated memory on a
> specific line, should just that line be quoted?

I don't understand what you mean with "quote more than one line".
However, things like this:

>  $080AD78F  MAINPROC,  line 104 of tutoradmin.lpr
>  $080B6127  MAINPROC,  line 104 of tutoradmin.lpr
>  $0809849B  TCUSTOMLISTMEDIATOR__CREATESUBMEDIATORS,  line 1122 of
> /home/graemeg/programming/3rdParty/tiOPF2/Source/Core/
> tiBaseMediator.pas

usually mean that no line (debug) information was available for the
two first addresses.

Jonas