[fpc-pascal] FreePascal on ARM Linux ,SoftFloat and EABI issues

Nataraj S Narayan natarajsn at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:55:09 CEST 2008

Hi Florian and other friends

I am involved in porting existing C code to Arm Linux for AT91SAM9263 Ek
board with 340x220 display. I need to write lots of console kinda apps.

I am using a "qemu-system-arm" emulated  Armel Debian machine on a

Debian x86 Lenny distro for writing code. I installed
fpc-2.2.0.arm-linux.tar on the emulated linux.
Which compiling a simple helloworld.pas , i get the classic error of
System.o  being EABI 0 while target is EABI 4.

I have got the svn download of fpc, and trying to compile it in the
emulated machine for ARM for the past 2 days.  I have given :-

make clean all ARCH=arm OPT="-CfSoft".

Its compiling for quite long and finally comes to rest endlessly while

compiling system.pp.

Let me remind you that i am dont use a Cross compiler, but an emulated
Arm machine.

My boss and colleagues are 'C only' programmers . Doing all kinda
harware access for embedded devices using C. They have developed pretty

good & successful apps using pure C without an OS. What i have been
trying is to convice them to use Freepascal for the Application part,
which is presently console Apps. The next stage is to develop X apps

using Lazarus. But for these I need to get FPC working.

Please help.

regards

Nataraj