[fpc-pascal] FPC Bombs

John Youngquist johny at iaw.com
Mon May 12 06:13:41 CEST 2008

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 10 May 2008, at 22:30, John Youngquist wrote:
>
>> Jonas Maebe wrote:

>>> To start which program? The fp IDE, or your own program? If it's
>>> your  own program, try compiling it with debugging information and
>>> running  it in the debugger.
>>

>> I don't think its my program because it worked fine last time i
>> opened it.
>

> I meant "Which program just flashes on screen and exits so fast you
> can't see anything". From your answer above, I gather that it's not
> your own program? So which program is it?
>
>> I just fixed it by removing FPC and deleting the FPC directory where
>> it was installed then reinstalling. I dislike this a fix cause you
>> don't
>> know the cause. I did notice some stuff leftover from the remove but
>> didn't keep it.
>

> If it is the Free Pascal IDE (fp.exe), you may want to try deleting
> all occurrences of "fp.dsk" and "fp.ini" you can find on your hard
> drive. Those store the IDE's settings. If such a file becomes
> corrupted for whatever reason, that might cause the IDE to crash.

It was the IDE opening my source that flashed and died. Although it
didn't even show a glimpse of the source before dying.
It's good to know what thoses files are for. I never ran across any
documentation on them. I will certainly give that a try
next time.

Never the less FPC is a marvelous system.

Thanks   JY