[fpc-pascal] How to initialize a "Text" variable?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Mar 15 22:46:20 CET 2008

On 15 Mar 2008, at 12:34, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> I have the following variable that I need to initialize:
>
> yyinput: Text;
>
> I searched, but I can't find anything that explains what this is, or
> how to initialize it. Is the Text type the same as TextFile?

Yes (although more the other way around: Text is a standard Pascal
type, while TextFile is an alias for Text introduced in Delphi).

> I would like to set this variables to the contents of a file, so I
> tryed the following, but it crashes with runtime error 123 ( 'No
> medium found' ) and no error message.
>
>  AssignFile(lexlib.yyinput, AFileName);

Normally, you would use plain assign() with Text files, but AssignFile
maps through to that.

>  Reset(lexlib.yyinput) ;
>
>  fmlscan.yylex();
>
>  CloseFile(lexlib.yyinput) ;

Same remark as for assign() here (close vs closefile)

So your error is unrelated to the use of assign(file)/close(file), it
is something else.

Jonas