[fpc-pascal] Simple X11 program

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:10:07 CET 2008

On 14/03/2008, Rainer Stratmann <RainerStratmann at t-online.de> wrote:
> Exists there documentation about X11 interface?
>  Or an example program?
>  I want to start with simply draw a bitmap and handle keyboard events.

It takes some practice to use Xlib directly but it's not to bad. The C
documentation is plenty on the web, which is what I use.

Alternatively, you could use fpGUI, which talks directly to Xlib
(*unix) and GDI (windows) and has done all the hard work for you.
Because it talks directly to the underlying graphics subsystem, you
have no large library requirements like Qt, GTK etc...  Just run the
apps. fpGUI also contains a Visual Forms Designer to speed up your UI
development.

If you don't want to use fpGUI, you can always look at it's X11
backend to see how to interface with Xlib from FPC.

You can find more information about fpGUI at the following website.
The source code is available on SourceForge.net and I highly recommend
you use svn to get the latest source which already contains many bug
fixes since the last v0.6 release.

  http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

Regards,
  - Graeme -