[fpc-pascal] Unicode filenames

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:26:56 CEST 2008

2008/6/30 Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:

>> function fpgFromOSEncoding(aString: string): TfpgString;
>> begin
>>   Result := AnsiToUtf8(aString);
>> end;
>
> ok.
> I wonder, what windows gives for characters not in the current code page.

Umm, no idea really.

>> No idea if this is enough for all cases (I'm not a unicode guru), but
>> Vladimir (russian developer) reported that it works for him.
>
> Of course it works for him - MS keeps things going. As long as a user stays in
> his code page it works.

Ah, now I get it!!  I'm a bit slow today.  :-)  Using characters
outside of the current code page range needs special attention.
Thanks for your explanation. I now understand the problem.

Makes me wonder how CodeGear is going to handle something like this.
Have they released more information on their Unicode support?

Regards,
 - Graeme -