[fpc-pascal] Unicode filenames

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at quicknet.nl
Sun Jun 29 12:25:35 CEST 2008

Marco van de Voort schreef:
> What are the exact plans of Lazarus in this? Is there some wiki page with
> how Lazarus plans to tackle this with all multi-platform concerns?

All strings the LCL are UTF8, see
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LCL_Unicode_Support

For windows this means all strings in the LCL are converted to ansi, if
the OS is win9X, and to widestring, if the OS is NT or higher.

See in particular:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LCL_Unicode_Support#Dealing_with_directory_and_filenames

IMHO there should be a better solution than to convert file and
directory to/from ansi. I think, this is the archiles heel of the
Lazarus unicode support, that it depends on a RTL that has insufficient
unicode support.

Vincent