[fpc-pascal] FPC and Mac OS X 10.5

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Jul 16 15:06:04 CEST 2008

On 16 Jul 2008, at 14:56, Mattias Gärtner wrote:

> Zitat von Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>:
>
>> Well, if it found units before you did that, you probably had
>> a .fpc.cfg somewhere in your home directory already.
>
> Maybe. I didn't check.
> I called samplecfg first as normal user and so samplecfg ignored my
> parameters
> and wrote the config to my home directory. A strange automatism. I
> deleted it
> and ran it again with sudo.

It really is only intended to be run by installers, which is why its
usage is nowhere documented. Snapshots are also only intended to be
installed on top of official releases. On most if not all platforms at
least some things are missing if you start with just a snapshots (such
as binutils or a config file).

> But if there was an ~/.fpc.cfg, then it could only be created by
> 2.2.0 or the
> 2.2.2rc1 snapshot.

No, samplecfg generates a ~/.fpc.cfg if it cannot create fpc.cfg in
the designated location.

> Maybe through the above automatism?
> But they all used $fpcversion, don't they? If yes, then all fpc
> versions should
> create a useful fpc.cfg?

If the basepath in the generated (.)fpc.cfg is correct, yes.

>> That issue is documented on the FPC Mac OS X download pages and 2.2.1
>> starting packages for Mac OS X 10.5.x are are provided there.
>
> Where?
>
> I did this: drove browser to www.freepascal.org, click on download
> on the right
> panel, then Binaries / intel/i386 / Mac OS X, choose as mirror
> Sourceforge, and
> there is only the 2.2.0 version.

The problem is that there is no download page with explanations on
sourceforge (I don't know whether it's even possible to do that). You
can see it on all of the regular download pages. That release was
however indeed never uploaded to sourceforge.

Jonas