Summary on Re: [fpc-pascal] Unicode file routines proposal

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jul 1 14:52:03 CEST 2008

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> > I don't like the runtime nature. At all. I want to be able to say "hey look,
> > I've a bunch of units here, and they only accept utf16, (e.g. because they were
> > ported Tiburon code). Convert if necessary"
>
> Tiburon code will never run in this case because in var parameters the
> exact type must match. And it will not match, doesn't matter how many
> compile directives you use.

So I must add some glue to the outside of the system for those few cases.
When you start tying code together with different encodings this is always
the case.

But at least you can do this, contrary to your proposal, where I must do all
my communication with an UTF-8 system with heaps of slow manual conversions,
or even worse, manually using pchars.