[fpc-pascal] Re: FCL-DB/SQLDB docs started

Adrian Maier adrian.maier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:35:58 CET 2008

On Dec 4, 2007 10:41 AM, Adrian Maier <adrian.maier at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 2:07 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé <martinrame at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I like the idea, can you start by creating the section's skeleton?
>
> Here is a possible structure of the page.    I'm not familiar yet to
> working with this
> lufdoc , that's why i'm putting the skeleton here on the mailing list
> for the moment.
>

> Sqldb guide
>
> 1. Introduction
> - what is FCL-db
> - what is Sqldb ; the supported databases
> - the current document concentrates on the sql databases
>
> 2. Concepts
> - the diagram shown here
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/SQLdb_Programming_Reference
> - explanations about each of the classes
>
> 3. Connecting to a database
> - how to instatiate a TsqlConnection for each of the supported databases
> - checking that the connection succeeded
> - closing the connection
> - frequently used methods of the TSqlConnection class
> - maybe : link to another doc "Setting up the database for the sqldb
> guide examples" , so that
>   the specific instructions for creating the db doesn't clutter this guide
>
> 4. Transactions
> - how to instantiate a TsqlTransaction and "link" it to the connection object
> - frequently used methods of the TSqlTransaction class :
> StartTransaction, Commit, CommitRetaining, Rollback.
>
> 5. Executing SQL commands
>
> 5.1 The TSqlQuery class
> - how to instante and "link" the query to the transaction and connection.
> - frequently used methods
>
> 5.2 Executing simple sql queries (which don't return tuples)
> - cfilltable.pp
>
> 5.3 Executing a sql query and traversing the records
> - example for accessing the fields by name  - dshowtable.pp
> - example for accessing the fields by position
> - using filters - gfiltertable.pp
>
> 5.4 Editing the records
> - fedittable.pp
>
> 5.5 Queries with parameters
> - efilltableparams.pp
>
> 5.6 Executing sql commands with connection.ExecuteDirect
> - example for using ExecuteDirect  - bcreatetable.pp
> - advantages/disavantages compared to using a TSqlQUery
>
> 5.7 Other stuff
> - getting the list of tables - alisttables.pp
> - other functionality that i'm not aware of
>
> 6. Developing FCL-DB and SqlDb
> 6.1 Structure of the FCL-DB directory in the FPC sources
> 6.2 Implementing a new kind of TSqlConnection
>

> 7. Resources
> - links to the reference pages of the classes used
> - links to tutorials, wiki pages, etc.

Hello,

Unfortuately ,   L's  initiative to start writing a guide for fcl-db
and sqldb has
stalled completely :
http://z505.com/cgi-bin/powtils/docs/1.6/idx.cgi?file=fcldbnotes

At that time I've tried to contribute with a possible structure of the guide.
After that, nothing else happened.

GIven that the few information on the subject is spread in tiny places (the
only comprehensive source of information being the source code...)  it's hard
for me to understand how some people can actually build applications that
need to access sql databases.   Probably their Delphi experience helps
them a lot ,  because the docs surely don't .

Are there any people still interested in making it possible to have some real
docs for sqldb and fcl-db ?

If so, let's organize ourselves and see what needs to be done .  I am very
interested in the subject but I can't do it myself alone :   if I knew enough
about sqldb I wouldn't be so unhappy about the lack of documentation .

Best wishes,
Adrian Maier