[fpc-pascal] beginner in pascal for Mac

Damien Gerard milipili at shikami.org
Fri Jan 18 20:36:49 CET 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:

> fpc-pascal-request at lists.freepascal.org wrote:
>> Damien Gerard wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Ezequiel Tacsir wrote:
>>

>>> I was used to wok with freepascal on windows. Now, I have switch
>>> to  mac (10.5) and would like to know what are the things that I
>>> need to  have it running. If anybody can send me a basic tutorial
>>> for  installation, running and so on, I will be delighted.
>>>

>> Using FPC on a mac is really easy if you are comfortable with
>> Terminal  and I use it every days.
>> After that, I don't know, my Vim is for me really really more
>> efficient that any text editor :)
>>

> Installation is easy. You need to install the developer tools
> (Xcode, but the GCC linker is the important thing), but both the
> Xcode and FPC installers are Mac standard installers, no trouble.
> (Perhaps the best feature with the Mac is the excellent installation
> systems.) After installing Xcode, you can trash the entire Developer
> folder if you don't want the applications (freeing up most of the
> disk space). The important things are installed in /usr/local, which
> is only visible from the Terminal.
>
> If command-line work is all you want, the Terminal is what you want.
> Plus a text editor. Nobody (?) does text editing on the command line
> any more, but there are plenty of nice text editor to choose from.

It is not true :)
The command line is far from the faster way for efficient work and vim/
emacs are the more powerfull than any other text editor.

Developper tools are provided with your install DVD of Mac OS X. You
need them but I am sure you should use it with FreePascal. I find it
really not appropriated.
Some people like TextWrangler, you can try it http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/textwrangler.html

May be you should use Lazarus, which is like Delphi if you know it.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X

Be carefull this page is not up-to-date. That's reminds me I should
update this page.

--
Damien Gerard
milipili at shikami.org

Le temps n'a pas d'importance. Seul le code est important
    -- (f00ty)