RES: [fpc-pascal] dot within unit file name

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 18 18:15:44 CET 2008

Op Fri, 18 Jan 2008, schreef Vinzent Höfler:

> Maybe my view is skewed too much by the use of Ada where even a function
> declares a "record identifier". In Ada it is even possible to do:
>
> ---
> procedure Test is
>
>   X : Integer;
>
>   procedure B is
>      X : Integer;
>   begin
>      X      := 1;
>      Test.X := 2; -- references X of "Test" procedure
>   end B;
>
> begin
>   X := 3;
> end Test;
> ---

There is fundamental problem which such a construct even using normal
Pascal scoping rules. The identifier "test" in this case, is in the
symtable of procedure B, which is a deeper lexical level, thus can hide
global identifiers.

On the other hand:

uses a;

var a:byte;

... both unit a as variable a would go into the global symtable, which
is the same lexical level, thus causing duplicate identifier conflicts.

Daniël