[fpc-pascal] dot within unit file name

Bee bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Fri Jan 18 12:59:55 CET 2008

> Agreed, but, many things in .NET interfere with how things work in
> Pascal. The .NET way of modular programming is totally different
> compared with the Pascal unit system, therefore it would function as an
> "alien".

I came from Delphi (my last Delphi is the Turbo Delphi) before I switch
totally to FPC/Laz and Ubuntu. I must admit that Delphi way of thinking
still affects me. I even still use it since FPC has very well
compatibility with Delphi in Delphi mode.

Though I don't intend to use dot as namespace, but I disagree if it is
totally an alien to pascal. Delphi does it very well on this. This fact
alone is enough to show that pascal is quiet friendly to dot namespace.
So, why FPC can't? At least by supporting it in Delphi mode.

> What should be done is, that if the .NET namespace stuff provides
> advantages, the Pascal unit system should be logically extended to
> provide such functionality, rather than duplicate the .NET way of
> modular programming.

I don't use .Net, but supporting Delphi dot namespace doesn't need to
stop providing other functionality. Ideally, we should able to provide
them both, the Delphi way and the FPC way. Both are the most used pascal
compiler nowadays. ;)

> But, I never encounter code that uses this feature; it is the perfect
> example of how adding syntactic sugar can help the needs of just one man.

You never encounter it doesn't mean it never been used or it's only used
by one man. ;)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com