[fpc-pascal] My favourite missing feature

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 12:11:29 CET 2008

Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>> To use grep, sed, awk, or a text editor effectively, one must
>> understand regular expressions.
>
> Maybe. I never used them (except a text editor of course). Everything
> you can do with these tools is also possible with a good Pascal compiler
> (and much more).

Very true, I'd not deny that for a moment. However what's better: a
single regex expressing a pattern to underlying well-tested code or ten
lines of "classic" Pascal doing the same job? Cryptic though regular
expressions are I'd suggest that the latter case has far more scope for
coding error or for misinterpretation by a maintainer.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk