[fpc-pascal] My favourite missing feature

ik idokan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 08:40:07 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 01:41:16 +0200
>> ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  It looks for a date pattern like the follow
>>>
>>> 10/10/08 and 10/10/2008 with space and then some other chars as well.
>>>
>>> I think if it was with boundaries of begin and/or end (^ and $) it
>>> would work even better.
>>>
>>> The () indicates groups. each group is the string extracted from the
>>> pattern, and can be used (that's the /1/ and /2/ that he wrote).
>>>
>>> This entire thingy called regular expression or regex for short.
>>>
>>> Ido
>>>

>>> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Marc Weustink <marc at dommelstein.net>
>>> wrote:

>> see also
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_regular_expressions
>>

> I know what regular expressions are, I know that when you are writing them,
> you understand what you wanted to do, but 5 mins later you don't know
> anymore what it meant, let alone how to debug.

Funny, I'm not the original writer of the regex code, but I understood it.
It's just another language for text patterns, that's all. A more complicated
regex is harder to understand with that one I can agree, but like with
Pascal, if you learn the language (and not only the syntax), you can
understand most good written patterns.

Ido