[fpc-pascal] TListBox bug in LCL of Lazarus?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Dec 22 02:04:23 CET 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:26:27 +0100
Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:

> > And your tone isn't very helpful. I responded only in a intention to
> > help, and yet the response doesn't seam to have been apreciated.
>
> Forgive me if I am sounding a bit rude. Of course that's not meant
> against any person on the list. Every help is realy appreciated. I
> only was already frustrated about Delphi (7) which has lots of bugs
> and a poor help too. Then I read many good things about FPC/Lazarus
> so I was expecting it to be at least better than Delphi but found
> that it's even worse. I am not sure anymore whether I should migrate
> to FPC/Lazarus. Transfering my Delphi code may be more work than I
> thought and I am not sure whether it's worth it if I am having even
> more problems afterwards.

About unicode:
The LCL uses one unicode format: UTF8.
The problem is that many other libraries (e.g. winapi) use other string
formats.
Delphi Tiburon tried to solve this problem with compiler magic by
implicit conversions, which helps to quickly port old Delphi code,
but might kill your speed or have some unexpected and hidden side
effects.
The FPC team is working on something similar, although because of the
many platforms, the problem is a magnitude more difficult. There
were very long mail threads about this topic.

About the converter:
The converter is a simple tool that already saves a lot of work, but
I agree with Vincent that it is easily mistaken as a complete tool
like converting a word document to openoffice.
Basically it handles the filenames, uses sections and compiler options.
And it does not yet do any syntax/library conversion.
The tool should warn newbies and open the wiki pages.
So there is a lot of room for improvements.

Mattias