[fpc-pascal] TListBox bug in LCL of Lazarus?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 23:00:38 CET 2008

> Well, they cannot put the blaim on the Lazarus converter, but only on
> their own ignorance with respect to porting to Lazarus.

Why ignorance? I remember someone asking here how to learn programming
with FPC/Lazarus and someone else answered that each Delphi learning
book would do. How does that fit together when such huge differences
between Lazarus and Delphi exist?

> I have a feeling
> that the conversion tool is bad publicity for Lazarus that it gives
> people a false feeling of easy conversion. Lazarus should avoid giving
> this impression.

A much better way would be to improve the converter in that it gives
hints about the different coding of strings. This would be enough.

>> The main problem realy is, that (some!) stings are completely omitted
>> when they are Ansi where UTF-8 is needed.
> Yes, garbage in garbage out.

Why "garbage"? A correct and running Delphi program was converted to
Lazarus with the converter, how can it be garbage?

Jürgen Hestermann.