[fpc-pascal] Re: Embarcadero/CodeGear officialy interested in Firebird and on native versions of Delphi for other operating systems ...

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:24:16 CET 2008

On the positive side they dumped Delphi for .NET and implemented
Unicode support. Maybe they are recovering from the last decade of ill
management?

There is just something I don't get about some business. Delphi is
similar to Palm in my oppinion. It was a very popular technology and
then it's development stagnated and ill choices have put it in a near
dead state. In the case of Palm really dead.

Was it really more profitable for Borland to let Delphi nearly die?
Wouldn't they profit more if they kept investing (and in the correct
direction) but also had a larger market share then now?

But nothing really new, I have always heard that depending on a single
vendor is a bad idea. Sure, some single vendor software are doing fine
now. But how long before management decides it's more profitable to
milk the software and stagnate development?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho